- One of the principals for founding the JWHL is to create a league dedicated to the development of female athletes. To that end Member Teams must commit to the following, recognizing that each team will have factors affecting some of the specific details:
- Organization/Team Philosophy: The primary purpose for the teams in the JWHL must be the development of its players to their highest level and for their teams to compete at the highest level for girls in their Federations.
- Practice Ice Time: Teams must maintain a ratio of 1 game:2practices for the season, and a minimum of 40 practices/20 games. It is expected teams will have more of both. Should teams elect to schedule more games, a 1:1 ration must be maintained. Teams must submit a season calendar to the League Committee that shows practices and games.
- Player Development: JWHL teams have to be committed to developing the whole athlete, and must have an organized off-ice training component and commit to exposing their players to elements that will help develop their athletes in their program. Our goals are to 1) make sure teams are focusing on player development, not just showcasing them, and 2) that teams in our league are a priority for the players on those teams. This means that teams should be focusing and providing practices with 1) elite level coaching, 2) adequate ice time at regular intervals, 3) off-ice training; and 4) players on JWHL teams must have as their primary commitment their JWHL team and, for example, not trying to balance a prep school schedule/commitment full time and this team part time, or similar conflict.
- Coaching: JWHL coaches must ascribe to the motto that 'learning is a lifelong process'; they must maintain the minimum Federation certification required, or present alternative proof in writing to this commitment to the League Committee.
- League Games: teams and players must commit to playing in all league weekends and playing all scheduled league games.
- Special Events: teams must commit to playing in all JWHL special events: JWHL Challenge Cup
- Code of Conduct: must be accepted by all team officials, coaches and players as well as enforced by JWHL teams and organizations. The League Committee will adopt and distribute player, coaches and parents Code of Conduct to be signed by all Members.
- League Format: The league is being formed by the Founding Members. The League will adopt any rules changes and schedule at the Annual Meeting.
Rules can be amended prior to each season and adopted by a 2/3 vote of the League Committee.